This cranberry bean & bacon soup is chock full of flavor. Way better than a can of Campbell's, my easy recipe is made on the stove in just one hour! Smoky, hearty and perfect for an autumn day, just soak your beans overnight for the best flavor, and make sure to use thick-cut bacon for that extra bite! You can also make this soup in a crockpot, instant pot, or slow cooker!
1 lb. fresh or dried cranberry (borlotti) beans, soaked overnight
2 cups minced mirepoix (carrots, onions, celery)
4 slices thick-cut bacon, cubed
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1-inch piece parmesan rind
2 bay leaves, dried or fresh
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, de-stemmed and finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 32oz. carton chicken broth, preferably low-sodium and organic
1.5 cups filtered water
4-8 dinosaur (lacinto) kale leaves, de-stemmed and sliced thinly
for serving: grated parmesan cheese, crusty bread
- Bring a large cast-iron pot to medium-high heat.
- Add bacon and cook until deeply golden and all the fat has rendered out. It should be crispy.
- Add mirepoix, salt, and pepper.
- Coat mirepoix in bacon fat and turn down the heat a bit, to medium.
- Cover and cook until translucent but slightly golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until you begin to smell the garlic.
- Add bay leaves, rosemary and parmesan rind.
- Add broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender.
- Once the beans are tender, add kale and cook for another ten minutes.
- Using tongs, remove parmesan rind and bay leaves.
- Serve immediately and top with extra grated parmesan and fresh black pepper, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: soup, bean soup, cranberry bean soup, borlotti beans, bacon, bacon soup, bean and bacon soup, tuscan soup