A texturally exciting and filling salad made with roasted cauliflower and chickpeas+ a celery and fennel slaw! Simply dressed in a lemony-yogurt dressing
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 small or 1/2 large cauliflower, broken into florets
1/2 fennel head, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced*
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 red onion or 2 shallots, thinly sliced into half moons
1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro or dill, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 cup Greek yogurt or feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º Fahrenheit
- In small bowl slice onion and add a pinch of salt and juice of half lemon. Set aside.
- In big bowl add the cauliflower florets and can of drained chickpeas. Season with a big pinch of salt, cumin, coriander and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Mix to coat cauliflower in spices and add to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Do not wash your bowl that has the leftover oil and spices in it. We will use it again. Just set aside for now.
- Roast cauliflower and chickpeas for 20 minutes.
- Bring small pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Once the water boils gently place eggs into water and set timer for 6-7 minutes depending on your egg.
- Once eggs are cooked, remove and run under cold water or add to ice bath. Leave the eggs in the ice bath while you prepare the rest of your salad (this makes them easier to peel).
- In the meantime, remove fennel top and slice razor thin. Use a knife or a mandolin if you've got one to get thin slices, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Add to bowl which previously held cauliflower. Slice celery 1/4-inch thick (ideally on a slant) and add to bowl. If your celery has leaves, you can add those whole as well.
- Add pickled onion to bowl with fennel and celery, saving the remaining lemon juice.
- Add yogurt or small chunk of feta to lemon juice. If using feta, mash with a fork to incorporate to the lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt. Add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice if necessary.
- Prepare two serving plates. Spread 1/2 yogurt mixture on each plate. For each portion: add chickpea and cauliflower mixture to one side.
- Then, place fennel and celery mixture on the other side.
- Add runny egg on top of each salad.
- Shower with herbs and a little more salt and pepper
- Category: Salads
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Middle Eastern
Keywords: cauliflower, chickpeas, fennel, celery, salad, cauliflower salad, celery slaw, fennel slaw, cumin, coriander, middle eastern recipes