There is going to be one night this week when you're on your way home from work and you're going to say to yourself UGH what am I going to have for dinner? Sushi? Pizza? Or starting the whole production of cooking? Here is what I suggest: garlic-rosemary gnocchi with broccoli. All you have to do is stop by the grocery store (or fancy bodega, for my new yorkers). Buy a bag of gnocchi and a head of broccoli. If you're in the mood you can pick up some rosemary too. You've probably already got onion and garlic and butter at home... right? One pot of salted boiling water, $10 and 10 minutes later, you will have a delicious, hot, healthy meal on the stove that will comfortably feed you and your significant other, roommate, spoiled cat/dog, etc. Ready for the details?
What Kind Of Gnocchi Do I Buy?
This recipe calls for re-cooked gnocchi, which can be found in both the refrigerated and the shelf-stable pasta section of your supermarket. I really like the refrigerated "skillet gnocchi" by Giovanni Rana brand. Any will do in a pinch, just make sure to check the package directions for how exactly to prepare it.
How do I cut broccoli without making a mess?
Funny enough, this technique is something that I did not learn until much later in my life. Broccoli is actually much better to cut UPSIDE DOWN! Can you imagine? Here is a great tutorial to help you cut easily and avoid making a mess.
I don't have broccoli. What can I use instead?
This recipe for garlic-rosemary gnocchi would be excellent with most other cruciferous vegetables. Cauliflower would be great, as would zucchini or broccoli rabe!
How do I make this recipe vegan?
Easy! Just make sure that the gnocchi you buy is vegan, and use all olive oil instead of a combination of olive oil + butter for the sauce!
I want more protein in my dinner. What do you recommend?
Chicken thighs would be delicious with this dish. Simply season thighs with salt and pepper and cook on the skillet completely (about 6 minutes per side) before step #2 of the recipe. Remove the chicken and let it rest while you go through the rest of the steps. Once your gnocchi is completely finished,Print
- 1 small head broccoli (cut into florets)
- ½ small red onion (minced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 bag gnocchi
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 sprigs of rosemary (stems removed)
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- salt + pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Then, put a large skillet on the stove and warm up 2 tablespoons each: extra-virgin olive oil + butter.
- Add garlic, onion, rosemary into the pan on medium-high. Season with salt and cook until golden, roughly 5 min.
- While the onions cook, boil the gnocchi and broccoli together.
- Once they are cooked, add them to the hot skillet with tomatoes and ¼ cup of pasta water.
- Crank the heat up, stir, add more salt and pep, finish with 1 extra tablespoon of olive oil and voila!
Want to try a different gnocchi recipe with rich tomato sauce and creamy mozzarella? Click her for my cheesy baked gnocchi!