This article will give you my honest opinion about whether or not Thrive Market is a good place to shop online (for organic groceries, clean home goods and more), and whether it's worth it to sign up!
This post is not sponsored by Thrive Market, but I am an affiliate partner for them. This means that if you sign up through my referral link, I receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting me and the brands that support my blog!
WHAT IS THRIVE MARKET?
Thrive Market is a members-only, online marketplace with a focus on organic, non-GMO, non-toxic and sustainable brands. If you love Whole Foods, you'll love Thrive Market because it has a similar ethos, but is significantly less expensive.
WHAT DOES THRIVE MARKET SELL?
Thrive Market primarily sells shelf stable groceries and home goods, with a focus on sustainable and "good-for-you" brands. Think: gluten-free pastas, paleo snacks, vegan supplements, sustainable coffees, non-toxic beauty products, clean deodorants, and more. Imagine yourself roaming the aisles of Whole Foods, just forget about anything refrigerated or perishable. There is a TON of variety.
They also sell bundles of frozen paleo meals, and bulk boxes of meat and seafood, should you be interested in stocking up your freezer!
HOW DO YOU BECOME A MEMBER? IS IT THRIVE MARKET WORTH IT?
To become a member, you need to pay a membership fee, which is similar to how Costco operates. The cost of the membership is $59.95 per year ($5 per month) if you sign up for a year-long membership. If you pay monthly, it is $9.95 per month.
If you're thinking that it's crazy to pay $60 for the ability to shop, I promise you, it pays for itself. Here's how:
- The cost of everything is ~25-50% cheaper than retail
- Members save an average of $30 per order, so if you place more than 2 orders a year (you will, trust me), the cost will pay for itself
- If you don’t make back your membership fee in savings in your first year, Thrive Market will credit you the difference when you renew—no questions asked.
- As an added bonus, every paid Thrive Market membership is matched with a free one for a low-income family, student, teacher, veteran, or first responder. Doesn't that feel good?
CAN YOU GET A FREEBIE WHEN YOU SIGN UP?
YES! When you first sign up, you can receive a free gift that is usually $22-$34 dollars in value. That alone will pay for half of the membership! Some examples of gifts offered are organic face scrub or a full size organic coconut oil! You can sign up here and receive a free gift today!
IS SHIPPING FREE? HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RECEIVE AN ORDER?
Shipping is free over $49, so I tend to place larger orders 2-3x per month to make sure I meet the minimum. If you don't meet the minimum, the shipping is still very affordable at just $5.95!
It typically takes 2-3 days to get your order, so make sure you plan a little bit in advance.
The packages are all very well wrapped in sustainable materials. Glass jars are padded to prevent breaking, anything that could melt (like a chocolate bar) is sent with an ice pack, etc. The attention to detail is exceptional.
Does Thrive Market Offer A Free Trial? Can you cancel your membership?
Yes, you can get a free 30-day trial of Thrive Market to browse the products and test out the membership.
If you don't like it or want to cancel for any reason, just be sure to cancel before the 30 days are up!
What are some featured or trending categories on Thrive Market?
Thrive Market is constantly updating and adding their offerings, and I love the discovery element of the site. I have found so many amazing, small, local, and independent brands that create amazing products on the site.
Here are some trending categories you can shop within the site (September, 2020):
- Whole30 Compliant
- Reducing Waste
- Pet Spotlight
- Sports Nutrition
Isn't that awesome?
WHY I SHOP AT THRIVE MARKET
When I was younger, I used to love roaming the grocery aisle stores with my dad. Discovering brands, hand-selecting snacks and cozying up in the freezer aisle were fun and adventurous. Nowadays, as a busy working-mom, I don't want to spend my free time driving to the store and spending hours shopping.
Here are the reasons why I shop at Thrive Market:
- It's extremely convenient: I don't need to go to 10 different stores for all of the specialty items I like. In fact, I can place an order in under 20 minutes from my laptop, and be done with it. Lots of items come in bulk sizes, so I can stock up my home and pantry and spend my time doing more important things.
- It's more affordable than comparable stores: I'll go into more detail a little further below, but just about everything is cheaper on Thrive Market then at my local stores, or on FreshDirect, where I regularly order produce and groceries. Keep in mind, I live in NYC, so there is no Walmart or BJ's nearby. There is a Costco, but it's not close to me, extremely crowded, and has a much smaller variety of the brands I like.
- It's easy and intuitive: Some online shopping interfaces are inundated with choices you don't want and require you to do lot's of research beforehand. With Thrive, I find the website very user-friendly, and I trust all of the brands they sell. Of course, in certain cases I'll check the nutrition label or read more about the founders, but overall, I know they have a rigorous selection process.
Is Thrive Market Worth The Cost?
For all of the reasons listed above, I wholeheartedly believe that Thrive Market is worth the $59.95 annual membership fee. I'm confident you'll make that money back in savings, discover new brands, and save time you would have spent driving, parking, and roaming the aisles. If you're ready to sign up, click here.
A FEW OF MY FAVORITE PANTRY ITEMS AT THRIVE MARKET:
There are so many wonderful brands on Thrive Market, and they are constantly adding more great stuff. Below are a few of my all-time favorites that are always in my cart:
Frontera Enchilada Sauce: I cannot believe that 2 bags of enchilada sauce cost $2 on Thrive Market! I adore this and it makes weeknight cooking a breeze, and so flavorful! I get very tired of plain roasted protein + veg, fast!
Red Boat Fish Sauce: This is the gold standard of fish sauce, which is essential for Thai and Vietnamese cooking. Fish sauce is tangy, salty, and is the secret ingredient to my Chicken Pad Thai. This one is also Whole30 compliant, and the only two ingredients are anchovies and salt! It's $7.99, compared to $11.99 at my local shop.
Lesser Evil "Paleo Puffs": I love all Lesser Evil snacks, but these are by far and away the most addicting. They're like Cheetos for grown-ups, without all the usual junk added to them! These are $3.99 at Thrive, and at least $4.99 elsewhere!
Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee: I only recently discovered this, and I am seriously in love. Lion's Mane mushrooms in coffee turn the experience from highly energized to a more mellow, alert, awake morning coffee vibe. The coffee is expensive, but good. It's $20.99 at Thrive, $23.99 retail. You could also buy Lion's Mane, and just add it to your regular cup of joe. And no, it doesn't make your coffee taste like mushrooms!
Gluten-Free Pasta: There are lots of different brands out there, but I love these Jovial brown rice shells the best, especially for kids. They retain their shape and taste great when cooked properly!
Quinn Pretzels: Gluten-free pretzels, but you wouldn't know it. Really clean ingredients made by a mom, these are the best with a little peanut butter.
A FEW OF MY FAVORITE BEAUTY PRODUCTS AT THRIVE MARKET:
W3LL PEOPLE Expressionist Brow Gel: This is my desert island makeup choice, because I don't wear much. This brow gel has the perfect brush to get your brows neat and looking fierce. The color is natural and holds firm for the entire day! Plus, it's non-toxic and affordable at $14.99! A fun bonus is that you get 5% "Thrive Cash" back, which is money you can use to buy other things on the site.
cocokind MYMATCHA All-Over Moisture Stick: Perfect for chapped lips, dry spot treatment, under eye balm, and so much more! Feels amazing, smells great, and costs $9! Bonus, this brand is female-founded, and BIPOC-owned.
A FEW OF MY FAVORITE BABY ITEMS AT THRIVE MARKET:
Alaffia Everyday Shea Kid's Bubble Bath: My daughter takes baths every single night, so we go through a lot of this stuff! It makes bath time fun, and leaves her soft and smelling heavenly! This product is significantly less expensive at Thrive Market ($9.99 vs. $14.99 elsewhere) and the brand is so wonderful. Alaffia is on a mission to help West African communities become sustainable through the fair trade of indigenous resources.
Weleda Calendula Baby Shampoo: This calming baby shampoo is perfect for your baby's buttery skin because it's calming, safe, and gentle. It smells like a field of flowers, but isn't overly harsh. I love the Weleda brand. It's $9.49 at Thrive vs. $13.99 elsewhere.
Toddler Mum-Mum Strawberry Rice Biscuits: These are a great stroller-snack, whether your toddler is teething or not. They're not messy and keep little hands occupied for several minutes 🙂 Two boxes are $2.99, which is almost 50% cheaper than retail!
Mamma Chia Squeeze Packs: These are so nutritious and delicious! Packed with omega-3s, protein, and fiber, I love giving my daughter these as an afternoon snack!
PROS & CONS OF THRIVE MARKET
Since we've already talked about all of the pros above, let me share some honest cons with you:
- There is no produce, no refrigerated items, and very few frozen foods. This means that you'll definitely need to shop at least one another store to do your grocery shopping.
- Few legacy brands, which is a plus for me, but might be a con for you if you like being able to buy Kraft Mac N'Cheese or Campbell's soup.
- Membership cost is obviously more expensive than stores without a membership cost, but as explained above, it pays for itself!
MY FINAL THOUGHTS ON THRIVE MARKET
As you can probably guess by now, I highly recommend Thrive Market and think it's totally worth it. I use it every month and love the ease, variety, convenience, and discovery of thousands of amazing brands. I trust them and the brands they spotlight, plus I believe the value is incredible.
If you have other questions or thoughts, feel free to ask me in the comments below!