kale caesar made from scratch with homemade caesar dressing, ribbons of parmesan and easy homemade croutons
- 2 bunches lacinto kale (de-stemmed)
- 1/4 lb. Parmeggiano-Reggiano cheese (shaved into long strips )
- 2-3 slices sourdough bread (I like Bread Alone brand)
- 1/2 lemon ((juice only))
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp anchovy paste (or 1-2 small anchovies, mashed in a mortar + pestle)
- 1 tbsp caper juice ((just pour out liquid from your caper jar))
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup neutral oil (such as canola, vegetable or avocado)
- 1/3 tsp sea salt (good quality)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- To begin, remove the stems from your kale (how-to above). Then roughly chop your kale into bite size pieces. Wash really well, then dry using a salad spinner or lots of dish towels. Make sure your kale is very dry.
- Squeeze juice of half lemon over kale, and using two hands, massge. Basically you want to mush the kale with your hands and fingers to break down some of those fibers and make it easier to eat/chew. You should do this for 2 minutes-ish.
- Once the kale is massaged, set it aside and let it hang out. Let's make our dressing.
- First, whisk together egg yolk, caper juice, anchovy paste, dijon, salt, and pepper. Then, slowly, very slowly, stream in oil bit by bit. You want to pretend you are making mayo here and emulsify the oil. Use one hand to stream in oil and the other hand to whisk ferociously. Once all of the oil has been added, your dressing should have some nice body to it. Taste it. It will be really salty, but that's okay. Set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave Parmeggiano-Reggiano into long, thin, strips. You can do this right into the kale bowl.
- Toast your bread slices really well. Then cut bread into small cubes (easier to chew this way) and sprinkle over salad. Try to leave most of the crumbs behind.
- Finally, pour dressing over kale, parm, and croutons. Using your hands or a fork and spoon, toss really well. Let the salad rest for 15 minutes, then serve!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: caesar, caesar salad, kale salad, kale caesar, homemade caesar salad, homemade caesar dressing, homemade croutons